I’m a bit shell shocked. Work has been busy the last couple of days but in between driving up the motorway I had a chance to see the new update notes. I get back from my trip and see that they’ve released details about this year’s Mog Bonanza and they’ve changed the prize list (more later).
I really wasn’t quite prepared for the extent of the changes to WHM. It makes me very interested to see what they’re going to do to other jobs. I suspect (as these changes may well catapult WHM way beyond other healers again) that RDM is due for quite a big upgrade too. A lot of BLMs hoping it will be them!
– Afflatus Solace
(Lv40 Ability Delay: 1 min. Duration: 2 hrs.) Inspires you to draw strength from the healing spells you cast. Afflatus Solace is activated, the amount of HP you restore via Cure spells and the job abilities Benediction and Martyr will be recorded up to a limit determined by your character’s level. This accumulated amount will determine the bonus value granted to specific spells.
– Afflatus Misery.
(Lv40 Ability Delay: 1 min. Duration: 2 hrs.) Inspires you to draw strength from the damage you take. While Afflatus Misery is activated, the most recent damage you sustain will be recorded up to a limit determined by your character’s level. This damage amount will determine the bonus value granted to specific spells. Unlike Afflatus Solace, it is non-accumulative and overwriting.
Wow, something a bit different and more like SCH JA. Solace looks pure win for some things Misery looks situationally useful and I suspect where large AoEs are inevitable absolutely fantastic. Good for kite parties.
– Sacrifice (Lv65)
Transfers one enfeebling effect from target to yourself. Casting Sacrifice while Afflatus Solace is activated grants a bonus to the number and variety of enfeebling effects transferred.
Hmm. How would I use this? The MP cost needs to be low for it to be worthwhile and I suspect if it can do it, it will be used for Terror/Amnesia/Doom a lot – stuff that is currently impossible to remove. Makes me think that Esuna may not remove them.
– Cure / Cure II / Cure III / Cure IV / Cure V. Casting the above Cure spells while Afflatus Solace is activated grants the target the effect of Stoneskin for a short duration.
This has to be one of the sickest things I’ve heard, especially for shadow users. Tanks are going to love this.
– Elemental Resistance Spells. Casting Bar- type spells while Afflatus Solace is activated grants an additional defense bonus to the associated element.
*short moment of personal joy* both for me (Mrs Barspell-Obsessed) and for those WHMs who haven’t merited bars.
– Holy. Casting Holy while Afflatus Solace is activated grants a potency bonus to the spell based on the amount of HP you restore. The record of accumulated HP is reset upon use.
Sounds fun. Holy was always fun, kinda a tantrum spell but I wonder whether it will become powerful enough to be usefully cast in alliance fights.
– Cura (Lv40). Restores HP for party members within area of effect. Casting Cura while Afflatus Misery is activated grants a potency bonus to the spell based on the most recent damage you sustain. The record of damage taken is reset upon use.
So this is their answer to not giving you stoneskin for your curagas. You get a bonus to a curaga but don’t AOE stoneskin like a Cure under Solace would. Interesting for AoEs and agas.
– Esuna (Lv61) Removes one enfeebling effect from yourself and party members within area of effect. Casting Esuna while Afflatus Misery is activated grants a bonus to the number and variety of enfeebling effects removed.
This is the WHM answer to Accession. Sounds like the WHM will be the centre of it so that may mean running in but wow. Interesting to see the recast timer and mp costs for this.
– Auspice (Lv55) Reduces TP dealt when striking an enemy for party members within area of effect. When cast upon a white mage for whom Afflatus Misery is activated, Auspice also adds light damage to initial attacks and bestows an accuracy bonus when target is missed.
This puts WHMs right back up there and I think opens up some fights. Whilst I dearly love my BLM and SMN, there are times when low manning events, you really are reduced to these jobs to stop tp spam. Admittedly it depends on the str/duration/recast of the spell as to how useful this is, but anything that reduces tp dealt is total win. I can see WHMs back in melee DD parties in larger events and this being a godsend for low manning stuff.
The changes to most of the Banish line are interesting, maybe we’re not using it enough for them 😉 Should make Einherjar more fun! Especially coupled with Misery, sounds like the potency and accuracy will both be improved.
I’m really pleased with the changes to the costs and cast times of the reraise and raise line. And finally the reduction of Reraise to the same level as Raise.
Thank god for finally having RR inside Promyvion without an earring. It’s a stupid thing but it’s nice. Because they’re not places we go often, people often forget… And I’ve always thought it was unfair that a WHM could raise others at a higher level than they personally could benefit from. The MP costs are a godsend for larger events.
Interesting that /SCH will now net you reraise – but unless BLM gets some form of defensive JA or spell, it’s still a limited soloing sub for them. Alliance fights with a SCH in the party would be interesting.
– Job ability “Martyr”: Ability range increased to be equivalent to Cure spells.
This little add on will make Martyr far more attractive. I have the JA but find that often you don’t want to be in range of whatever is hurting your party that badly. This gives it a serious boost.
Interesting, can’t wait for the update!