Huge Spoilers in the images cut if you haven’t done the Maiden’s Rhapsodie FFXI Crossover event. I took a bunch of screenshots and reminisced like a pro. It does make me miss XI but not the XI that is there right now but the XI from a few years back when there was a huge group of us playing on Alexander and then Shiva. I had an amazing time in XI but it’s not the same place now. Whilst I am really enjoying FFXIV, it’s not the same game. Equally though FFXIV makes life a lot easier because I don’t have to feel guilty if I’m going out for an evening that I’m letting a group down or be worried about my points… Yep XI was pretty intense for me. Good times.
Introducing the SQUARE ENIX Software Token Application (21/03/2013)
Coming in early April, this new smartphone application will allow players to generate one-time passwords. We highly recommend it to our users as a quick and easy way to enhance the security of your Square Enix account with your iOS or Android device.
This year isn’t quite as exciting for Final Fantasy XI as it is for Final Fantasy XIV, but it’s still bringing a pretty big change to the status quo. Players have had years to get used to the game as it is, but nowSeekers of Adoulin is on its way to completely rewrite matters, giving us two new jobs as well as a new region and new mechanics to deal with. In other words, it’s going to be shaking things up.
So while I was out in San Francisco enjoying all that Final Fantasy XIV has to offer, I also had a chance to look into Final Fantasy XI‘s new expansion, specifically the new player jobs. Both the Rune Fencer and the Geomancer are bringing something new to the game, and while I didn’t get to play around with either job extensively, I did get to see how both will play and check out their key abilities.
December 13, 2012 (JST) Version Update
- New quests have been introduced.
- Salvage Additions and Adjustments
- The Following high-level remnants have been added:
Zhayolm Remnants II / Arrapago Remnants II / Bhaflau Remnants II / Silver Sea Remnants II
Differences from Previous Salvage Content
- Entry is restricted to adventurers level 96 and above.
- Players will no longer be able to obtain temporary items.
- Pathos of Alzadaal restrictions may no longer be removed by imbued items, but by the following methods:
- Defeating certain monsters in specified areas will randomly remove a Pathos of Alzadaal restriction from participants.
- Examining the Runic Lamps within each remnant will allow players to remove restrictions of their choice.
- Embrava (castable only while Tabula Rasa is in effect)
- Effect duration has been reduced from five minutes to ninety seconds.
- Haste potency will now increase by 1% for every twenty points of one’s enhancing magic skill instead of for every fifteen points.
- Embrava now grants the effect of Refresh instead of Regain. The value of the effect, however, remains the same.
- Meeble Burrows Additions and Adjustments
- Players will now receive wizened worm items upon completion of expedition goals.
- There are three types of worms to receive: Wizened Tunnel Worms, Wizened Morion Worms, and Wizened Phantom Worms.
- Speak to the NPC Utrig in Sauromugue Champaign (J-7) to exchange these worms for random items.
- Palimpsest items have been added that bestow beneficial effects upon players.
- Trade a palimpsest to the Speleological Handbook in the burrows to receive its corresponding effect.
- Palimpsests may be obtained randomly by trading wizened worms to the NPC Utrig in Sauromugue Champaign.
- Trading a grimoire to the Burrow Investigator in Upper Jeuno will allow players to view the status of the expeditions they have undertaken.
- Players may now speak to the Burrow Researcher NPC to record previously accomplished feats in blank grimoires.
- Any boons recorded will be level one.
- This service requires gil.
- The number of Moblin pheromone sacks that may be stored has been increased from five to ten.
*Speaking to the Burrow Investigator NPC or Burrow Researcher NPC and following the prescribed process will increase a player’s stock to ten, regardless of how many are currently in storage.
- The item Pherobarrier Box, which increases one’s maximum stock of Moblin pheromone sacks, has been introduced and can be obtained by expending research marks.
- Research Mark Adjustment
The amount of research marks obtainable will now increase depending upon the number of players in one’s party, with parties of three receiving the same amount as in the past. However, the amount of research marks players may receive from boss battles has been decreased.
*New Meeble Burrows expeditions were also scheduled to be introduced, but have been postponed for approximately one month so that they can undergo more thorough testing.
- Assault: Nyzul Isle Uncharted Region Adjustments
- The largest number of floors one may randomly teleport has been increased from nine to eleven.
- For the objective “activate all lamps,” the waiting period between when simultaneously activated lamps deactivate and can be reexamined has been reduced from thirty seconds to fifteen.
- For the objective “activate all lamps,” the amount of time players must wait before learning if they correctly activated lamps in the specified order will be reduced from twelve seconds to seven.
- The number of times players must defeat bosses to earn an astrarium has been reduced from twenty-five to five.
*The number of astraria already in one’s possession will be adjusted in the following manner:
Pre-adjustment Post-adjustment 0 → 0 1-6 → 1 7-12 → 2 13-18 → 3 19-24 → 4
- Legion Adjustment
- Enemies’ HP have been reduced.
- Einherjar Adjustments
- The enemy Odin that appears in Odin’s Chamber II has had its HP reduced.
- The waiting period for reentry has been reduced to twenty hours.
- Limbus Adjustment
- The waiting period for repurchasing the key item Cosmo-Cleanse has been reduced to twenty hours.
- Job-related Adjustments
- The level at which Pianissimo is learned has been decreased from forty-five to twenty.
- An additional effect has been added to Pianissimo that halves the casting time of the next song.
- The following bard songs have been changed from affecting a single target party member to affecting all party members in an area of effect centered on the caster, and their casting time has been changed from four to eight seconds.
Enchanting Etude / Spirited Etude / Learned Etude / Quick Etude /
Vivacious Etude / Dextrous Etude / Sinewy Etude / Bewitching Etude /
Logical Etude / Sage Etude / Swift Etude / Vital Etude /
Uncanny Etude / Herculean Etude / Hunter’s Prelude / Archer’s Prelude /
Foe Sirvente / Adventurer’s Dirge
- The recast time for all special job abilities has been reduced from two hours to one.
- Status effect duration timers will now continue to progress even during cutscenes.
- The issue wherein pet movement speed was unintentionally fast has been resolved, and the maximum movement speed of pets has been increased to twenty-five percent of the average speed.
- Paralysis and killer effects are now effective against more notorious monsters’ attacks.
- The conditions under which the Abyssea- Tahrongi NM Quetzalli spawns have been alleviated.
- New items have been added.
- New synthesis recipes have been added.
- The following synergy recipe has been added.
Item Name Required Craft Materials Orchestrion Alchemy Doll Gizmo, Loudspeaker II, Goblin Doll, Scintillant Ingot, Aht Urhgan Brass Ingot, Steel Sheet, Molybdenum Sheet, Mahogany Lumber Goldsmithing
- The synthesis level required to craft the following item has been decreased:
- The prices at which the following items may be sold back to vendors have been changed:
Burdock / Walnut / Butterpear
- The following items are no longer considered Rare:
Olde Rarab Tail / Fossilized Fang / Fossilized Bone
- The stack size of the following items has been changed from one to twelve:
Olde Rarab Tail / Seasoning Stone / Fossilized Fang / Fossilized Bone
- The following items may now be harvested through Gardening:
Seed Type Harvestable Items Fruit Seeds Walnut, Butterpear Herb Seeds King Truffle Vegetable Seeds Burdock, Winterflower Cactus Stems Flame Geode, Snow Geode, Breeze Geode, Soil Geode, Thunder Geode, Aqua Geode, Light Geode, Shadow Geode, Nopales, Dragon Fruit
- The following items have been made storable with the porter moogle service:
- Moogle Storage Slip 11
Dream Mittens / Dream Mittens +1 / Ahriman Cap / Pyracmon Cap / Orchestrion / Janus Guard / Tender Bouquet
- Moogle Storage Slip 14
Ares’ Mask +1 / Ares’ Cuirass +1 / Ares’ Gauntlets +1 / Ares’ Flanchard +1 / Ares’ Sollerets +1 / Skadi’s Visor +1 / Skadi’s Cuirie +1 / Skadi’s Bazubands +1 / Skadi’s Chausses +1 / Skadi’s Jambeaux +1 / Usukane Somen +1 / Usukane Haramaki +1 / Usukane Gote +1 / Usukane Hizayoroi +1 / Usukane Sune-Ate +1 / Marduk’s Tiara +1 / Marduk’s Jubbah +1 / Marduk’s Dastanas +1 / Marduk’s Shalwar +1 / Marduk’s Cracows +1 / Morrigan’s Coronal +1 / Morrigan’s Robe +1 / Morrigan’s Cuffs +1 / Morrigan’s Slops +1 / Morrigan’s Pigaches +1 / Ker’s Mask / Ker’s Cuirass / Ker’s Gauntlets / Ker’s Flanchard / Ker’s Sollerets / Sigyn’s Visor / Sigyn’s Cuirie / Sigyn’s Bazubands / Sigyn’s Chausses / Sigyn’s Jambeaux / Omodaka Somen / Omodaka Haramaki / Omodaka Gote / Omodaka Hizayoroi / Omodaka Sune-Ate / Nabu’s Tiara / Nabu’s Jubbah / Nabu’s Dastanas / Nabu’s Shalwar / Nabu’s Crackows / Fea’s Coronal / Fea’s Robe / Fea’s Cuffs / Fea’s Slops / Fea’s Pigaches / Ate’s Mask / Ate’s Cuirass / Ate’s Gauntlets / Ate’s Flanchard / Ate’s Sollerets / Idi’s Mask / Idi’s Jerkin / Idi’s Gloves / Idi’s Trousers / Idi’s Ledelsens / Genta Kabuto / Genta Sune-Ate / Genta Gote / Genta-no-Hakama / Genta Sune-Ate / Namru’s Tiara / Namru’s Jubbah / Namru’s Dastanas / Namru’s Shalwar / Namru’s Crackows / Neit’s Crown / Neit’s Coat / Neit’s Cuffs / Neit’s Slops / Neit’s Pigaches
- Moogle Storage Slip 11
- Ex Item Delivery Revisions
The list of undeliverable exclusive items has been updated.
- Players can now change the background music of their Mog Houses by furnishing them with an Orchestrion.
- Music selections can be made via the Symphonic Curator that appears to the side of one’s Mog House’s entryway after placing an Orchestrion.
- Possible music selections depend upon the sheet music key items in one’s possession.
Orchestrions only come equipped with the sheet music for Mog House and Vana’diel March.
- Should their Mog House be furnished with a Spinet, players may also choose music from it via the Symphonic Curator.
- Any background music alterations made in this manner are also audible to PCs who are invited to a player’s Mog House.
- Adjustments have been made to the RGB bars in the Config menu with which players can change font colors.
[Windows and Xbox 360 Versions Only]
- An option to change the menu icons for magic spells, job abilities, and weapon skills has been added.
Selecting option “2” under “Icon Type” within “Misc.” in the Config menu sets the icons that were introduced with the July 24, 2012 version update to display, while selecting option “1” switches to the icons that were used previously.
[Windows Verion Only]
- A new graphics stabilization option has been added to the Etc. tab of the FINAL FANTASY XI Config program.
*The order in which abilities and spells are displayed have been reset as of this version update.
- The following issues have been rectified:
- The issue wherein the visual effects for the Abyssea – Grauberg NM Assailer Chariot’s spells did not display correctly.
- The issue wherein the Abyssea – Grauberg NM Azdaja’s spell Dispel would affect players even if they had evaded it.
- The issue wherein Dark Seal did not enhance the accuracy of the following dark magic spells:
Drain II / Absorb-Attri
- The issue wherein the following items’ “Increases song effect duration” attribute did not activate for enemy-targeted songs:
Aoidos’ Hongreline + 1 / Aoidos’ Hongreline + 2 / Aoidos’ Matinee / Daurdabla
- The issue in Walk of Echoes wherein incorrect titles were given for completing the sixth through eighth walks.
- The issue wherein the maximum fishing skill level that catching the following beasts allowed players to reach was incorrect:
Dorado Gar / Crocodilos / Pelazoea
- The confirmation message text that displays when removing restrictions in Salvage via Runic Lamps overflows for certain categories.
This isn’t really a competition but whilst I have no real urge to write about FFXI right now (I’m not playing after all) I have found several things interesting about the different approaches taken by Square Enix and Bioware.
You need to be aware of a couple of things. Firstly, FFXI was launched almost 10 years ago, whereas SWTOR was launched almost 4 months ago. FFXI is Japanese and SWTOR is Canadian. Yes, Bioware is Canadian.
The two games are obviously two entirely different kettles of fish. However, they’re both apparently MMOs. SWTOR has 1.75m subscribers right now and FFXI has several hundred thousand, possibly half a million. I played FFXI for over 7 years and SWTOR since launch. I have cap-level characters in both.
I decided last week that I needed to take a break from FFXI. I have never taken a break from FFXI in over 7 years. Aside from a couple of weeks’ vacation here and there, I’ve been around pretty constantly. There have been times when I really should have taken a break honestly, but I didn’t. Mostly if I’m honest, out of a sense of loyalty and responsibility. Oh and I’m stubborn. Read More…
Finally… we know the score. EPIC thread posted here on the SE forum.
The FINAL FANTASY XI roadmap for the twelve-month period commencing April 2011
The FINAL FANTASY XI roadmap for the twelve-month period commencing April 2011 has been released.
Well ouch. Lovely mob…
We farmed up two popsets for Rani recently. We need quite a lot from her. Due to luck rather than judgement, Niamh ended up with one, and he’s about to go on vacation. So we decided to try her last night. Our main event is on Sunday, so we kept a set back for that but we figured that it would be a good idea to see what the fuss is about whilst Nia was still around.
100 > 50% is not bad at all. It’s slow and steady. We didn’t have the ideal setup but it wasn’t bad. Of course we didn’t know that until later. Our main damage was 3 RNG/SAM. We piled them up with Regain Atma. We then had 2 SMN, one experienced and one new to it. We ate the first Meteor fairly easily. We did have a couple of stun-capable people but this was new to everyone.
But at 50% ish the frontline got charmed. We didn’t cause that much harm except for the complete hate reset. One BRD, WHM and 2 Tanks running around as Caturae were slept or bound and Rani was shadowbound. Afterwards it took a while to try and get things back under control and people were being bashed all over the place. It was starting to settle when Ure piped up on vent, that he had a friend who could ‘brew’ it for us.
I honestly thought we were in recovery and could have done it, so my first reaction was no. I really wanted the shell just to crack this and we had another pop. We took it down a bit but then it went back over 50%. I was the only person there who actually gave a real damn about doing it properly and I knew it. I also knew that should we beat her, a ton of people would then have, or be close to, access to a Shinryu win.
I know it doesn’t make sense to almost anyone else but our shell is capable of taking her down ‘legitimately’ so it kinda bugs me that in the end we didn’t. Fact was the minute Ure said ‘brew’ no one wanted to. They just wanted the quick fix. I knew that realistically we only have one shot at taking her down fully on our own because once people have access to Brews no one will want to kill her any other way.
In the end, it came down to realising I really was the only one who gave a damn and that if we did it that way, then Niamh would get the win before he went away for a few weeks. So we let a friend come in and Brew the last half.
It was amazing to watch and kinda sad at the same time. On the plus side quite a few of us have or are close to Shinryu (we killed Iratham again later for others) and a lot of us now have the Discernment Abyssite.
Funny thing is, much as I am happy about that – part of me wishes Ure had not mentioned Brew. The quick win feels like a hollow victory to me.
I ended up briefly chatting to probably the only other person on the server who agreed with me (Berdysh). Watching the thing just melt away with a Primal Brew was pretty amazing.
I think, had we had one more confident SMN or another 90 RNG we’d probably have managed ok. Chances of us getting to try that out again on Sunday? I’d say about 10% as everyone and their mother will beat Shinryu before then if they can and want to play.
Still, at the expense of cheapening the fight, we made a lot of people happy. Just wish we’d done it properly.
I know this scene has been used to death but this so beautifully expresses what some people have felt recently and is hilarious at the same time…
And just for Mac
I was out of town for a good chunk of the weekend and forgot about Vanafest for a few days. Most unlike me but probably a sign of something. I broke down on the way home and whilst waiting for roadside recovery, got a text message from one of my friends saying how angry they were about the news.
Having no clue what he was on about, I used the time (standing on the side of the motorway waiting for recovery) to nose around on the web. Faintly surreal, but heh, I wasn’t going anywhere and that’s what web enabled phones are for right?
So all the stuff about March’s update sounded pretty interesting, then I read the real shock news, about the level cap. I started writing a huge post about it all then decided to chop it into two chunks. Read More…